Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Pepper Sauce -- hot stuff!

We pulled out all of the hot peppers yesterday before the rains came -- I'm cleaning up the rest of the garden and the potted garden, getting ready to put everything in the greenhouse as soon as the weather permits.  We'll have hot weather for at least another month, I'm sure, but the days are already getting a bit better.

I followed this basic quick sauce recipe: 15 Minute Homemade Hot Sauce, and then changed it up to match what we had to use. I had a pile of Aji Golden, Aji Angelo, and about 4 jalapeno peppers. First I cut the tops off, deseeded them (by the way, a grapefruit spoon works so great for this!), and put them in a saucepan.  Then I added the vinegar, salt and garlic.  John added cilantro, cumin, chopped onions and apricots.  Then we simmered it for about 20 minutes, put the whole thing into the blender until it was smooth.  Whew -- should have seen the smoke coming out of the blender! ha!  
Taste test went VERY well -- I tried it straight from the spoon, and John put some on a taco chip. A quick burn that disappears pretty quickly - leaving a nice fruity/peppery after-taste.  I think we'll use this often!  

No comments:

Post a Comment