Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Spring Garden Notes - May 18, 2016

We've been harvesting veggies almost every day, and now that the beans are coming in, I'm having to start freezing them every other day.  They pile up pretty fast!
 The purple beans are ready to pick, too!
 Here's our haul from this morning.  I put these all in the freezer today. I'm keeping the jalapenos for a few more days until I have enough to can.  Wish the tomatoes were ready because we could use some salsa!
 Here's an example of each of the beans that I'm growing this year. From the top down there's Calima, Purple Bush, Gold Mine Wax, Pension, and Carson beans.  They are all bush beans.
 The cabbage is heading nicely - I'm fighting those cabbage worms every single day.  I think they'll be okay but the outside leaves don't look too pretty.
 I think these golden beets are the prettiest beets we've ever grown, they're about the size of a golf ball right now. I won't get a lot, but enough to make a jar or two of pickled beets.
All the rain has helped the basil plants to grow very large and leafy. 
 I made some stuffed Bruchetta Chicken with this bunch the other night.  Delicious!
John's strawberries are actually still living and growing! There's a couple of fruit on them and some are sending out these long runners and rooting some new plants.  I hope we can keep them alive!
 The blackberries are starting to turn pink and this plant is really putting out the berries this year! It's spread out and put on some new plants too.  Really like this thorn-less plant.
 We're seeing flowers all over the property right now.  I just love this time of year!

Those elderberry plants are really full of blooms this year. So pretty!
We've been getting so much rain recently, its at the point of finishing off most of my squash plants - they are rotting from the bottom up.  I'm afraid we won't be getting much from them - I'll have to start some of them over. We had 3 inches of rain again last night, and more is forecast for tonight.  When it rains, it pours!

No comments:

Post a Comment