Sunday, December 27, 2015

Movie Review --- Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I've waited a while before posting this, just in case you haven't seen it yet.  In any case, there may be a few "spoilers" here, so if you haven't seen it -- TURN AWAY!! ha!
As you may know, my reviews aren't that detailed anyway, just my impressions about the movie.

We were treated to the movie by JR and Ashley, he bought the tickets a month ago for the first night at the downtown RiverCenter mall.  I never knew how cush that theater was! Big wide seats that recline! Yes -- recline!  Come on, all other theaters, you need to get on that bandwagon now.  What a great way to watch a movie.

I was expecting big crowds, but I'm guessing most of the seats were pre-sold, because it wasn't bad at all.  The seats are pre-assigned, too, which I really like since you don't feel so rushed.

That all being said, I really did like the movie.  Definitely stayed true to the "Star Wars" world that was created in the past 6 movies. I liked the mix of the new, young generation and the older generation from the first movies.  I felt like cheering every time one of them showed up on the screen -- in fact some people in the theater did!

Things I loved -- they added in a lot more comedy then we got in the older movies, the two new hotshots, Finn and Poe, reminded me so much of Luke and Han.  I liked Rey's spirit and dedication to waiting for her parents to come back, and I really loved the new droid - BB8!

Things I didn't love -- they stole all the joy from Han and Leia's love story.  Damned! I hated that they didn't really have an "and they lived happily ever after." Not happy about that, writers.

John thought this movie was a duplicate of one of the older stories, A New Hope. The same old death star (just called something else) and a role reversal of the bad guy being the son instead of the father.  I have to say the son wasn't quite the same scary guy his grandfather was.  He also wasn't happy about how fast Rey found her Jedi powers.

But I still loved it, and I'll see the next one.  I hope they don't make us wait another 10 more years!

After the movie, I got to take my first Uber ride.  Since we had walked over from JR and Ash's home, we rode back to a hip restaurant for dinner, Azuca, which has some fancy Latin food.  It was delicious!



 I had the shrimp pasta frontera...
John had a vegetarian dish...

I wish I had taken a photo of it, but if you go, definitely try the fruit creme brulee....oh my!!! We all shared one dish -- it's plenty.
What a nice evening.  Here's a couple of shots of downtown San Antonio landmarks lite up for Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment