Tuesday, October 27, 2015

#HorrorWeek The Dump Truck

The dirty dump truck passed me on the freeway, pulling in front as I read the chilling words, DEAD DOGS, written in childish print in the dust on the back of the bed. Looking up, the dog that draped over the edge stared down at me with blank eyes, his tongue wagging in the breeze as it took a last ride.



This week Goodreads is running two sentence horror stories on their blog! Here's what they had to say:  

"Horror Week on Goodreads is your chance to spook yourself silly. We are indulging in the macabre as we countdown to Halloween, highlighting spine-tingling booksauthor exclusivesgroups,Listopia listsgiveaways, and quizzes that will keep you awake after the lights go out.  Share your two-sentence Horror Story with us all week on Twitter using #HorrorWeek! We’ll select our favorites to post on this blog on Thursday." 

So I thought I'd give it a try.  My story was inspired by true events from about 20 years ago, and it's been rattling around in my brain ever since on occasion.  I did see a dump truck on the freeway in San Antonio with the words "dead dogs" scratched in the dust.  Of course, the truck was covered, so who knows if there were really dead dogs in it, but the event has stuck with me for many years.  It always makes me think of Stephen King's Pet Cemetery.  

No comments:

Post a Comment