Saturday, February 21, 2015

We have baby chicks!!!

The eggs that we put in the incubator have started to hatch!  Friday morning was day 21, so when I got up I went straight to the incubator (even before I had my coffee!)  There were no babies there, but a few eggs had little peck areas on them and when I tapped the side of the incubator I heard a couple of chirps!

Mid-morning the first chick hatched! Excitement -- I was able to catch the whole thing on video for KT, who has been as excited as me about the possibility of chicks.
The next didn't hatch until Colleen and Jeff arrived that evening.  They brought KT out to see the chick, and when we opened the incubator there was another little blackish silver chick in there.  Perfect.  Another arrived while they were here, too, and KT got to watch it emerge from the egg while she was here.


So far we have 7 and a few more eggs in the incubator, so the possibility of more.  I'm anxious to see if we have hens or roosters -- but since I don't know how to sex them, I'll have to wait until they get a little older.
 Witnessing a miracle!

No comments:

Post a Comment