Friday, June 27, 2014

Movie Review --- Maleficent

Jolie and her real life daughter as a baby Aurora
A retelling of the Sleeping Beauty tale, from the viewpoint of the evil fairy (I was taught to think she was evil from the cartoon movie of my childhood) Maleficent.  This movie will show you just how misunderstood she was.
I have to say, I wasn't sure exactly what to expect.  But I will share that I was totally blown away.  Even John enjoyed the heck out of this little movie.  Well done, Disney.  
Angelina Jolie is a master actress - I've always enjoyed her work, but her brooding, anger, hurt, and disappointment at the hands of humans is a thing to behold.  I wasn't as sold on Sharlto Copley as the King, and I can't exactly say why.  

I was in tears several times during the movie, although it doesn't take much to bring me to tears.  I know you will find the honest emotions that Maleficent portrays will bring you to tears too.

You will probably recognize a few of the fairies, including the three bumbling fairies that raise Aurora from a baby.  Very cute!

Go see it, you will love it!  Trust me. Oh, and let me know if you can guess who gives Aurora her true loves kiss before the end....I did.

I hope the person who designed Maleficent's horns gets an Oscar this next year.  They were ICONIC!! Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment