Sunday, March 25, 2012

Making Farm House Cheese

UPDATE:  This was soooooo delicious!  It was finally about 1-1/2 cups of cheese, and we tried it on french bread....wow! So good.  I'll make again!

So tonight I tried another "old school" skill.  I made farm house cheese!  It was interesting and worked just fine, but I haven't tried it yet.  It's in the fridge marinating the herbs and dried tomatoes, along with the sea salt.  I'll give it a try in the morning.  It sure looks good, like a fine ricotta or a chevre, but seriously, a full gallon of milk and 2 cups of buttermilk only made about a cup of cheese....I felt guilty throwing away all of that whey.  I'm not sure I'll do it again, but it may be that good, who knows!
 Heat the milk to 180 degrees.  I've always been nervous when I heat up milk.  I can hear my mother telling me "just scald it, don't burn it!" but of course, I always burned it. If you know me, you know my reputation.
 The necessary ingredients
 Pour into the cheesecloth in a collander
 Tie it up and hang it in the sink for about 1 hour
 The cheese as it comes out of the cheesecloth
  Other ingredients added, and into the fridge.  Looking forward to trying it tomorrow!
Recipe here!

No comments:

Post a Comment