Tuesday, March 27, 2012

How does the garden grow?

Everything in the garden has sprung forth from the soil, except for those pesky Strawberry Spinach, which I've given up on.  I'll put something else in that spot.  Oh well, I guess I should expect a failure or two.
Today I added soil to the first potato tub.  The plants are tall enough, so I put about 2 inches of soil, up to the top of the shortest plant.  I'll keep adding soil as the spring moves along, until I reach the top of the bucket.
Before the soil was added
After I added soil
 The cotton plants are starting to show!  I can't wait to see how they do.
This one is trying hard to crack the surface!
These are my cucumbers around the edges, with a plant called Rat's Tail Podding Radish in the center.  These plants have pods that you eat instead of the normal radish, come from Southeast Asia, but have been around since the US Civil War.  I've never heard of them, have you?  Just a kind of oddity for my garden this year. I actually can NOT stand radish, so if they taste like radishes, John can eat them all.

I planted gourds along the outside of the garden fence.  Bottle gourds and dipper gourds.  I've had spotty luck with gourds in the past, probably the only person who can say that.  They are supposed to be as easy as weeds, but I don't think they like me.  ;-(

Yes, it was a muddy foot kind of day!

No comments:

Post a Comment