Thursday, September 2, 2010

Book Review -- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

What a gem of a book!  I could not, COULD NOT put it down!  Thank you, thank you, thank you to my niece, Emily, for recommending this beautiful, funny, sad, hysterical, charming, and horrible story. 

My feelings ran the entire course from joy to grief.  I read the whole thing in two days after work -- ignoring my husband, dinners, and chores.  It was definitely worth it.

It's written in the form of letters back and forth between the heroine of the tale, Juliet, and a farmer on the isle of Guernsey, around 1946 - after the German army had occupied the island in an attempt to gain a small piece of Britain. What a way to learn the history of that small part of WWII. The citizens of that small isle used everything they had to survive those terrible years, and came out the winners.  I feel like I know these characters - especially Isole, who I'd dearly love to meet.  What a character!

And aren't you just dying to find out what a potato peel pie is?  I'm not telling...you need to read the book.  I got this copy at my local library - and I've got mixed feelings about returning it...wonder what the fine is for a "lost" book?  jk!!

It was written in most part by Mary Ann Shaffer, and finished by her neice (I think) after Mary Ann fell ill.  I read that she died earlier this year, but I hope before she did that she realized our gratitude for her beautiful little book.

1 comment:

  1. OOHH!! I'm SSOO glad you liked the book!! Awesome!!! :) I, too, ignored, chores, other books, Aaron, etc to read it. :) It was such an interesting historical fiction book...fab, fab, fab! :)

    ReplyDelete