Monday, July 26, 2010

Custer State Park and Black Hills National Park

Bison, prairie dogs, pronghorn antelope, white tail deer...and more buffalo.  The entire herd in Custer State Park walked right behind our truck as we were parked on the side of the road.

Interesting noise the big males make -- they stick their tongues out and bellow!  Something else I totally was unaware of, they seem to be walking and socializing together in a typical male, female and baby group.  Everywhere we looked they were in this threesome group.  So, do they mate for life, or for a season?  I have questions!

They were totally unconcerned about us, but after reading the sign above, I wasn't taking any chances.  A typical adult male weighs in at 2000 pounds (that's a TON) and I don't think I want to take the chance, so we stayed right by the car and even jumped inside when they started coming our way. 

Those little prairie dogs were hilarious, darting here and there and jumping into their holes when they knew you were watching them.  Real funny guys.  I know that ranchers hate them because cattle and horses can break a leg walking into their holes, but they are fun to watch.

We went to Mount Rushmore tonight for the evening program.  I'll write it up tomorrow, because we're exhausted.  We're leaving here around noon tomorrow to places unknown.  We have no plans and no reservations.  I think we'll decide at breakfast in the morning, so I'll see you next from ???



3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a great time in South Dakota! Hope you have fun at Mount Rushmore!

    Kristine Young
    Office of Tourism
    travelsd.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet those little prairie dogs are funny. I hope that John Hoyt isn't around because I remember stories of his.

    Cool photos too, keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tatonka! My friend Saretta is from SD - guess I should of asked her for some pointers for y'all before you got took off *doh*

    ReplyDelete